December weddings are upon us which means many couples are finally tying the knot. Where there is shaadi, there is the hot and heavy gol roti debate. Always one that makes a good joke, always one of the many roadblocks a common Pakistani girl has to pass. Now that it’s done and dusted, your bride has passed all the tests and is ready to commit the rest of her life with you, we thought we’ll do her a solid.
Here is a step-by-step gol roti tutorial made easy with pictures for all the dulhas who love their chapatis gol and don’t mind getting their hands dirty (pun intended):
1. First things first, fetch the aata.
And somehow manage to differentiate between maida and aata.
2. All rotis have to be taken with a pinch of salt.
3. Things will get a little messy from here onwards.
Lukewarm water is your best shot.
4. And now, we knead.
6. Until it’s soft and stuff.
7. Now cover the goonda hua aata with a cloth and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
8. Just when you think that’s the last of it, you have to knead some more.
Moisten your hands with some oil or water first.
9. Now that the dough is ready to go, it’s time for the artistic touch.
Roti ho tou gol werna is it even roti?
10. Cover the little blob in a some aata dust.
11. Time to get the rolling pins in order.
Ye hay asli imtihaan.
12. Let’s just hope you’re as much of a pro as this fine hand model.
13. Good luck not burning your hand.
Psssst taway ko pre-heat kerna na bhooliye ga.
15. Press down a wee bit for…
17. In case you’re feeling fancy, a dollop of desi ghee can be arranged.
Tuck them in just before devouring them.
Dulhans, send this quick and easy recipe to your significant others to be. We won’t be held accountable if they suddenly realize they don’t even need you anymore.
Cover image via: Yellow Jacket