Engineer, engineer hota hai…
Engineering is a sacred profession in Pakistan. Sadly, it is also one of the most saturated professions, also. With hundreds of aspiring graduates and not a job in sight, today’s young engineering professionals really don’t have the luxury of saying their degree’s “scope” is all set. But if your’re a software engineer you’ll know that life is a maybe a teeny tiny bit better than other types of engineers. Although the bigger struggle is probably trying to explain the subtle differences in your specialization.
So here are a few things a software engineer in Pakistan goes through:
1. Everyone you know will ask you to fix their appliances and electronics
2. It irritates you when people don’t know the difference between the different types of engineers
And then they think you’ll be the expert to refer to, for all types of engineering questions.
3. They think your life is like the Bollywood movie, 3 Idiots
4. They ask you silly questions about every random tech related thing because obviously they think everything tech is your job
5. Your friends think you don’t know how to talk to girls
6. And when people think there are no female engineers
Like are you even kidding? It’s 2017 forgodsake!
7. Whenever the internet is down, everyone thinks its your job to fix it
8. People think you’re a hacker
9. And they’ve actually asked you to hack their crush’s Facebook accounts
10. But if you’re part of a great company you really enjoy your work when you prank your colleagues and friends
11. You stopped counting after the nine thousandth time you’ve been asked whatever the fuck a “cloud” is
12. … and wonder what would happen to the “cloud” if it does actually rain
13. But the most interesting question you’ve ever been asked is probably, “technology ka faida tab hoga jab khaana download ho sakay ga“
Sab ka Allah hee hafiz hai.