Some of you will be starting your first year at the university, pretty soon while others may be in the throes of a serious crisis during your first ever university semester. Your social life and its dynamics, contrary to your expectations, are going to take a 180 degree turn and you’ll have no clue what it’s going to be like. Apprehensions encompass you all day, every day and the panic attacks may be getting more frequent.
Well, we could have easily helped you get over your concerns but we would rather go with further aggravating them. So, let’s present you with some of the popular expectations of university social life – versus the reality, in case you were getting too carried away while thinking about all the freedom that awaits you. Pfffft!
1. Expectation: My hostel wing mates are going to be awesome. We can stay up all night partying, eating, cooking together and talking. We can have our own version of Friends.
Reality: This is how you will communicate with most people on your hostel floor.
2. Expectation: I am going to look super hot at all the dinner parties, for the next four years. Gym, here I come. Who knows I might just find ‘The One’?
3. Expectation: I am going to join all the student societies, make shit loads of friends who I would make spontaneous plan with, all the time, omg.
Reality: Just leave me alone and let me sleep.
4. Expectation: I shall get to meet new people and the exposure will ultimately help me in improving my outlook towards life.
5. Expectation: Food parties in the dorms, all day. Every day. With every single floor mate.
6. Expectation: I will never have to eat alone, ever now.
7. Expectation: Will make loads of friends and they will eventually, bring homemade food for me and invite me over for sleepovers, every weekend.
Reality: While your day scholar friends be like…
8. Expectation: I will make sure I become the glue that holds my entire group of friends together.
Reality: However, after listening to your friends bitch about each other like high school kids, you are always like…
9. Expectation: Apart from dorm buddies, study buddies and party buddies, I am gonna’ have gym buddies too. After all, health and a perfect body come first.
10. Expectation: No relationships, at least for the first two years. I need to first figure out who I am.
11. Expectation: I am going to befriend all the instructors and professors and just be the coolest guy/girl ever.
What a joke, life is!