Now that we’ve officially apologized for not bringing up your PSL crush through out the super league season, the mangoes at MangoBaaz decided to get in touch with Zainab Abbas herself to bring to you the lesser known facts about the cricket journalist that has stolen every Pakistani’s heart.
Here’s all you sure as heck didn’t know about the lady that pretty much knows cricket better than you:
1. Zainab Abbas is a business graduate.
With a degree in Marketing and Strategy from Warwick University, Zainab’s journey into sports journalism is what she calls a tad bit ‘accidental’.
“Some years ago, my love for cricket landed me at an audition for a world cup panel show. Having no experience in broadcasting, my knowledge of the sport is what landed me my first job. The magic of sports broadcasting had me spell bound and there has been no looking back since”, she confesses, while speaking to MangoBaaz.
2. She grew up as the only girl in a joint family of 12.
“I hail from a big family of cricket lovers where my late Dadi showered all her grandchildren with love and affection.”
3. Her love affair with cricket began at a very young age.
“I think it’s a beautiful sport. If you understand it, you will fall in love with it immediately.”
She grew up watching every cricket match with her uncles and cousins later developing such a keen interest that she got absolutely hooked to cricinfo.com
4. She is a Lahori, through and through.
5. She thinks supporting Pakistani cricket team is SUPER FUN.
“Supporting Pakistan is fun, because they have always been a mercurial side…”
“It is the uniting factor within our country and I feel the passion I have seen in our people for Cricket is overwhelming. The fact that you never know the outcome at times till the last ball of the match, is what makes it so gripping”, she says.
6. She was once refused an interview by a cricket personality only for her gender.
When asked to share an interesting story from her career, she tells MangoBaaz; “I won’t name the cricketer but there was an occasion when a cricketing giant refused to be on the same studio as me for a show only because I am a woman…”
7. She’s a complete and unapologetic “foodie”
“I work out just so that I can maintain myself by eating whatever I like. I absolutely love Thai cuisine but more than anything else, home cooked Daal Chaawal.”
8. She also only picks chai over coffee, always and forever.
“I can turn up at my childhood friend’s house unannounced just for a cup of tea.”
9. Zainab is a die-hard Shahrukh Khan fan.
Hearing great things about #fan!!
— zainab abbas (@ZAbbasOfficial) April 15, 2016
Her all-time favorite movie is Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayengay.
10. When asked to list her idiosyncrasies, she tells MangoBaaz that she has missed a lot of flights.
“I have missed my fair share of domestic and international flights. I also tend to be forgetful at times and have lost many valuable belongings.”
11. Her personal superhero and favorite personality till date is her mother.
“A very strong and independent woman; she’s a force to be reckoned with.”
You’re welcome, kids.
Cover image via: sunday.com.pk