Old school desi parents are adorable but the fact that they impose their old school ideas on you and do not even strive to listen to your side of the story makes your life a little more difficult than it already is.
Here are all the things you might be able to relate to if you have old school desi old school parents:
1. Whenever you’re in the car with your parents, the music wars just never seem to stop.
Your parents want to listen to Lata and Mukesh while you crave for some Cheap Thrills.
2. Even though they want you to marry a man/woman of your own choice, they want you to come home ‘ bilkul seedha‘ from the office/university
How am I even supposed to meet my prospective husband/wife?
3. If you’re ever going out, there will be proper interrogation.
“kon choray ga?”
“driver ko kab bhejun?”
“kon kon a raha ha?”
4. They have traditional totkay for every ailment
Have a headache? Cannot stop vomiting? Dying? There’s nothing that the acclaimed ginger-honey mixture cannot cure.
5. They will constantly remind you how they’ve given you more azaadi than you deserve
Allowing you to study in a liberal institution was the biggest mistake they could ever make for you deserved to get married after matric.
6. According to mommy a nice, proportional mixture of Stillman’s and Fair and Lovely can fix all your rishta needs
7. A see through shalwar qameez is better than a jeans and full sleeved t-shirt combo
8. You get to hear ‘Ye rat ko konsi classes hoti hain’ every time you have to stay till late at university for make-up classes or extra class sessions
9. They’ll insist you share everything with them but when you do they will reject anything like mental illness ever being a thing.
10. They will try to bargain even at a McDonald’s
‘Beta, kuch tou paise kam karwao’
11. They are the most firm believers of “aik chappal paray toh saaray hosh tikanay ajaein“
It doesn’t matter how old you are, you can feel a jooti coming your way as soon as you say or do something that does not conform with their ideas.
12. They will dream of your shaadi since the day you are born and will make sure you know that everyday
‘Sadgi ka dor khatam ho chuka hai’
‘Mehndi aur dholki kay baghair kia Mehndi hoti hai‘
13. They just don’t understand how anyone wants to become anything other than a doctor or engineer
‘Beta, kisi ko kia batayen gay ay hamara beta/beti kia karti hai?’
But whatever they may say or think for you, deep down inside you know that they really, truly love you with all their heart.
Cover image via: Hum Network Limited