Career transition is a phenomenon which is still alien to Pakistanis. For us, doctor and engineer are the only major choices to be respectable professionally. If you’re something other than doctor or engineer, then you’ll spend the rest of your life explaining “the scope” of your field and even if you shift from that field after graduating then only God can save your poor soul because then you’ll be hit upon such questions:
Because I can do whatever I want with my life?!?
2. What do you mean that you got bored of your field?
Yes please. I need all your advice on how to live my life.
3. Teri field ka scope hai?
Yes really. The things really work around your opinion in Pakistan.
4. You’re not able to find a job. Haina?
Yeah, you’re so right. I didn’t even look around for a job.
5. Passion wassion kia matlab?
Because you’re supposed to earn a living to put food on your table, not worry about whether you like doing it for the rest of your life or not.
6. What if you get bored with the field you’ve chosen now?
7. But… you didn’t even study for what you’re doing, kaise?
Umm I have a brain which works efficiently for something that I am passionate about. That’s how we are doing it.
8. Is this a long term career plan?
Yeah because you’ve all the idea about choosing career and you ace at life.
9. Why did you study for your degree jab uss mein nokri hee nahi karni thi?
Oh sorry. I totally forgot about that. How silly of me.
10. Did you consult someone before making this decision?
Yeah because you’re my go to person when I’ve problems in my life?
11. Are you sure, na?
And I’m seeing how long you’ll keep talking.
12. Pakka na?
No. I just had a dream one night and I woke up with this decision to change my career.
13. Are you happy in your new profession?
I’ll be more than happy if you stop asking me these questions.
14. Can’t you do this on the side, alongside your main profession?
It’s for people who think and feel, unlike some people.
Are you working in a profession which is not exactly your degree? How do you deal with people’s reaction? Tell us in the comments.
Cover Image via: Jaswal Films / Salmaan Shaukat