Amidst bashing as well as loving desi aunties including phuphos and khalas, we tend to forget our mumanis and chachis who work their way into our families rather insidiously. Since they are not directly related to us most of the times (except in cousin marriages, thanks to Pakistani traditions), we hardly pay heed to the desi characteristics possessed by them. We, therefore, have compiled a list of some of the things that these chachis and mamis do religiously, through the course of our desi lives.
1. While your amma, abba, phupho, khala, mamu etc. pester you into accepting their friend requests, the mamis and chachis mostly think it is beneath them to send one to you until you do it yourself.
2. But the will make sure to let you know that they want you to send them a friend request
3. Once you do, they’ll make sure to leave very calculated comments under your pictures
unlike the long, praises and subhanAllahs your khala or phupho do.
4. They go from being extra sweet and caring to wtf-I-don’t-care-who-you-are, as soon as your mamu or chachu leaves the house or even the room for that matter.
5. They’ll make sure to casually slip in subtle buraiyan of your nani or dadi in order to “open your eyes” to the apparent injustices they have been enduring.
6. They take it upon themselves to compare your sorry self with their own sons/daughters
That too in such a clever way that before you realize it you are suddenly the biggest failure to have ever existed on the surface of this planet.
7. Cherry on the top, they will narrate a gazillion success stories of their other nephews and nieces who you have never ever met in you life and probably never will.
While you have to pretend like you care because your ammi jan has taught you to behave well.
8. They feed you roti kadu when you visit them, and expect 23 distinct dished together with meetha, namkeen and what not when she visits you.
9. While her daughter is apparently the epitome of beauty and good conduct, you are just a shapeless blob who she’ll try and find a rishta for.
10. They’ll make sure to narrate every single detail of the time of their life when they used to be beautiful and free until they got married to your mamu/chahcu, at every single family gathering.
11. But because, like everyone else, they, too, are a part of your family and you have to bear them no matter what.
Or at least you have to pretend to.
Lol, yeah not ALL mamis and chachis are like this and many also love you whole-heartedly but those that do turn out to be pretty entertaining. Do you have one like this?