Okay, ladies. You know how being close to thirty feels? If you’re too young to imagine it, wait a few years. But it tends to be scary. Things start getting a lot less hazy and you gotta shake yourself up a little bit to remind yourself that you basically didn’t spend the past x number of years like a dumb dodo.
Something similar happened to me recently.
As I turned 28 recently, I realized I needed some perspective instead of bawling my eyes out and thinking, sub saal kahan gaye? Here are all the things I’ve experienced for the past years that have made me the person I am today (warning: some of them are a little…astaghfirullah)
1. Said hello to a random girl in the first day of school and now we’ve been best friends for 10 years and counting.
2. Realized that my parents are human and capable of making mistakes.
3. Built such a solid relationship with my sister that I can even confess my sins to her.
4. Loved a boy.
5. Kissed a boy.
6. Got my heart broken by a boy.
7. Realized that my mental health is important.
8. Invested in female friendships that got me through the toughest of times.
9. Worked my butt off and didn’t even mind because I was doing something I really loved.
10. Realized that quitting isn’t an option.
11. Realized that I need to love my body and be kinder in my inner monologue. (To thine own self, be kind)
12. Traveled alone, traveled with friends, traveled with family and will continue to travel because there’s nothing that brings me more joy than the feeling of being at a new place.
13. Mastered “live and let live”.
14. Money isn’t and shouldn’t be the end goal ever. Having said that, it’s never too early to manage your finances so you’re not held back from pursuing your dreams just because you can’t afford them.
15. Cut off toxic people from my life.
16. Made my peace with the fact that I’m not always right and no one can be.
17. There will always be people who don’t agree with you and probably never will and that’s okay.
18. There is no such thing as a “guilty” pleasure. Never be guilty about binge-watching KUWTK because it brought ME joy.
19. Learned how it’s good to be kind.
20. Life is too short to think about how other people perceive you to be.
21. Realized that asking for help doesn’t mean you’re a weak bitch, it means you’re open to trusting people.
22. Got drunk with my close friends and realized that I can trust them with my life.
23. Got high and felt like I was on top of the world. Got high again and thought I would die. Nothing definitive came out of it but at least I tried.
24. Took fashion risks and told myself it’s okay even if they make me look like an idiot.
25. It’s okay if people laugh at your idiosyncrasies as long as they’re laughing.
26. Forgave the boy who broke my heart because it helped me.
27. It’s okay to be the one who is making all the plans as long as everyone shows up.
28. There’s nothing that a round of sushi can’t fix.
No reason, girl just loves her sushi.
That’s all, folks. Again, girl’s sharing her own experience. If you have anything to add, don’t forget to holler at me in the comments section below. You know I’ll be watching…anonymously.
Cover Image Source: unicaro.ro