Wait, how do you speak English so well?
– Kill me.
When Pakistanis go away to the states, or anywhere abroad – there seems to be a number of things about our culture that may come up in conversation that evidently FREAK the fuck out of foreigners.
Okay, maybe not that dramatic, just surprised to hear something so different than what they already know.
Everything from our wedding traditions to our ‘timeliness,’ it’s a pretty wild world for them. Though it can be slightly annoying and close-minded, it can also be extremely entertaining.
SORRY NOT SORRY! ~
So without further ado, here are just some of the things that are super bizarre for foreigners to hear about Pakistan.
1. We marry our cousins sometimes.
This is an especially fun one to try and explain.
2. Shaadi season lasts 12 months.
That’s right, ALL year.
3. There’s no such thing as ‘being on time.’
If we have clocks, they’re just for show.
4. People have cooks, drivers and even guards here.
It’s a pretty common job to have around here, pays relatively well and is not considered bougie.
5. Virtually every house in the country has a gate.
Again, not bougie, just how it is here.
6. Men live at home FOREVER.
And it’s considered a great thing.
7. Women have to move in with their in-laws right after getting married.
Like, straight from the wedding hall.
8. One wedding can last for a month.
Annnnd you get separate joras for every event made.
9. You can customize every outfit through the hands of a tailor.
Little do they know the fresh hell this is…
10. People are IN your business.
Nosiness takes a WHOLE new meaning in Pakistan. It’s pretty much a way of life that everyone is born into.
They don’t get it. They SHOULD, but they don’t.
12. Muslim showers.
Again. World’s best invention. They SHOULD get it. But again. Don’t.
13. Levels of thukaluf.
It’s pretty offensive when you don’t offer someone a cup of chai at least 4 times.
14. ‘Everyone knows everyone’ is not just a quaint saying here.
FBI has NOTHING on an aunty with the will to find out some intel.
15. No such thing as driving rules/sense/etiquette.
Learn to drive here, you can drive anywhere.
16. RISHTA AUNTIES.
The secret dons of Pakistan, Rishta Aunties run the true game here.
17. The concept of an arranged marriage.
Or the fact that nowadays it’s basically just known as, ‘halal dating.’
18. Guys and girls are definitely not on the same level.
Everything from expectations to double standards. Actually, lmao, the world gets this one.
19. You are not in constant fear for your life.
20. Everyone you meet will treat you like family.
Get ready for the world’s warmest form of hospitality.
21. The fact that despite what’s said in the news, Pakistan is the best place in the world to live.
The absolute best.
Do you have anything to add to this list? Let us know what you think in the comments below! Love you.
Cover photo source: MangoBaaz/Alibaba