If you love your Khalas and hate on your phupho, your ammi jan has taught and trained you really well. A khala loves you, sometimes even more than her own kids. After all, she is just like your dearest ammi.
Here is a list of some of the typically desi things every Pakistani khala possesses, in one way or the other.
1. When she loves you but then compares herself with phupho
“Tumhain tumhari phupho hee aukaat main rakhti hain.”
2. However, this doesn’t change the fact that she is unconditionally generous because after all, you are her behan kay bachay
Khalas treat to watch Kapoor and Sons in the cinema! I officially dare a Desi Phupo to even think of doing such a thing, karna dur ki baat.
— احمد علی (@AhmedAliTweets) March 19, 2016
3. She is the best person to bitch with when it comes to complaining about your mami
“Bhai jaan tou bilkul badal hee gaye hain, all thanks to that whatever-your-mami‘s-name-is.”
4. You can always count on her to get all the family related gossip even if your ammi jan refuses to be a part of the gheebat session
Although, ami always joins in afterwards.
5. She’ll make sure to make you desi ghee kay parathas when your mother isn’t around, even if her own kids are dying of hunger
6. She will constantly pester you to make a Facebook account for her because her kids just won’t do it
7. When you finally end up making one for her, she’ll make sure to tag you in every random picture that is even remotely related to benefits of having acha ikhlaq.
8. When her comments on your Facebook pictures look something like this:
9. The same loving khala will turn into your champion because she hates your phupho as much as you do
“Wo bhi meri rishteydaar hai lekin tum sahi keh rai ho.”
10. But God forbid, if you say something against her own kids, she’ll make sure to narrate all your bad deeds to your mother that you secretly told her at some point.
11. At the end of the day, despite everything, khalas just cannot mind their own business.
She is a desi auntie after all.
Love you, khala.
Cover image via: HUM TV