They say they are only going for a chutti and they will be back in a few days, but deep inside you are already prepared for them to never come back. You still trust them and wait for them, only to dial a number that has long been turned off.
So here are the thoughts you have at that moment of betrayal:
1. You are in denial at first
Maybe it was rain, a flood, or someone actually died for real (this time), they will come back.
2. But then it hits you
When you dial her number and you find out its off, then you call her relatives, and then you realize that her whole family has changed their names and maybe have migrated to China.
3. You can’t help thinking about how perfect her rotis used to be
4. And you miss her chai so much that it bring tears to your eyes
5. You think about all the promises she made
Baaji, ab iss ghar se jaye gi tu sirf meri laash jaye gi
What about those jhootay waaday and kassmain? Was EVERYTHING a lie?
6. You try to think of what exactly you did wrong
You were nice, you paid her well, you even had special moments where you chatted with her about the philosophy of life, but nothing was enough, nothing could ever be.
7. You get nightmares when you think about all that you have to do on your own, now
Suddenly you are left on your own. You have to wash the dishes cook the meals and you really start to appreciate all that your maid used to do for you.
8. You dread the moment a new maid will walk in
You feel like everything you will explain to her about your house, about how things are done here, will one day fade into dust. You know that this sweet smiling, obedient looking girl is just a hologram, who will soon slip out of your fingers, no matter how hard you’ll try to hold on to her.
9. Then anger hits you
Now you’re done mourning over her, and all you want to is go make Liam Neeson type phone calls to her
10. Then you think to yourself it is her who is at loss, really
She lost someone caring and loving like you, and your beautiful, comfortable house, you’re not the one who should be sorry, she should be.
11. And sometimes you wonder where she is now
You wonder where she is now, if she’s happy, if she thinks about you. Will she be more loyal to the people she is with now? Was it really for the best that she left?
12. Slowly, you begin to bring yourself back to life
You really start to believe in the saying that when something is taken away from you, God is just emptying your hand for something better.
13. But you are scarred and can’t help but remember the good times with your maasi
You have trust issues now. Whenever this new maid wants to go for chutti, you eye her with suspicion.