Cab services have now become a part of many people’s daily lives because of the ease of accessing them and the comfort they provide. But not all’s as good as one would like to believe. Since there are so many stories popping up now and then about all the weird incidents happening in these rides, girls have become rather cautions in taking these rides.
These are some steps to keep you vigilant and cautious about your ride:
1. First, be calm and don’t stress too much about it because it’s just a damn ride
Breath in, breath out. You’re a strong independent woman. You can do this.
2. When you finally find a ride, go through the captain’s information thoroughly
Okay, you have to do this because it’s for your own good.
3. The moment your ride gets confirmed, send a tracker to someone you trust
A trusted friend who’ll keep an eye on your ride in case something happens.
4. Also, remember to send the tracker to multiple people
What if that one person is busy? So you send the tracker to few other people as well.
5. Text the car’s number to a trusted person
This one is tricky because they’re not tracking the ride and won’t know where EXACTLY, you are. If it’s your mother, she’ll definitely call you again and again to make sure you’re alive.
6. When you sit in the car, politely say salam and tell the captain your destination
Nothing more than that. You don’t have to be over-friendly, nor come off as too sarrial either.
7. Give the driver the impression that you know the way yourself
If you aren’t exactly aware, you can google up the map and drop a street name that comes on your way.
8. Obviously the driver knows the way as well, so don’t get into an argument with them
You know telling them what route to take may be awkward and all but you’ve to do it just to show who’s the boss.
9. When the ride starts, open up Google Maps yourself and start tracking the car
Just to keep an eye in case the captain takes any other unfamiliar route.
10. If the captain starts making a conversation, you just politely show that you’re not interested
Or you just shove in your earphones to ignore them. Waisay, earphones can put you in danger since you don’t know about any conversations that he might be having on his phone so be aware of your surroundings with those earphones in your ears.
11. Also, if your driver puts on music, just ask them to put it off, or turn down the volume, because you need to establish authority
You know it’s his car lekin free nahi karana usay.
12. If someone calls you, casually throw in the conversation about your ride so the driver knows that people are aware of your whereabouts
“Han mein bus Careem main hun. Yeah. I’m about to reach. We have taken the same route. Yeah. Of course, I know the way.”
This way the captain also knows that someone close to you knows that you’re in a Careem or Uber.
13. Don’t forget to keep on tracking the car on Google Maps so that you won’t lose your way
And keep an eye on the road as well in case you miss a turn or an intersection.
14. And do remember to keep the driver on their toes with your knowledge of the raastay
The captain may get annoyed but you’ve to do it for your own good.
15. Finally, when you’ve reached your destination, get off the ride and thank the captain, politely
Also, give him five stars because you nagged him so much
How do you keep yourself safe and sound while travelling in Uber/Careem? What measures do you take? Tell us in the comments section.
Cover image via: tribune.com.pk