Atif Aslam really is such a delight. He recently sat down with Samina Peerzada for the latest segment of her viral show ‘Speak Your Heart Out With Samina,’ and truly stripped down. He revealed his humble demeanor as he talked about his childhood and how his love for music came about in an incredibly endearing and revealing interview.
Here are 11 confessions Atif made…
1. His band ‘Jal’ first performed at McDonald’s
He says he always longed for the presence of sisters in his house.
2. He admitted to being a loner at college, after being a very naughty boy growing up
3. He grew up in Model Town in Lahore
4. His son buys the same toys he used to when he was younger – dinky toys
5. Atif used to wash his own shoes with soap so that his mother didn’t have to
6. He made his own little world full of color and cricket – there was never any concept of music in his childhood
7. …And he loved cricket so much he wanted to pursue being a fast bowler as a profession
8. He never enjoyed music
His first memory of thinking listening to music was ‘cool’ was when his elder brother bought a tape recorder
9. When his mother went on Hajj when he was young, he grew very close to his khaala – so much so that when his mother returned, he refused to acknowledge her!
10. The first time he actually sang was when his family moved to Pindi
He described how the vastness of the house triggered him to sing; his own echoes frightened him at first but then he fell in love with it.
11. He came up with his band name ‘Jal’ from his three loves; paani, music and his college best friend
What did you think of this week’s episode?